• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Beer
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
What Kind of Beer Should Ryan drink on the next show?

There's this beer in newfoundland called "india beer".
it's pretty cheap.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline Supracoracoideous

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »
My buddy drank Special Export Lite in college, ONCE. 
Apparently it was flammable... unfortunately not from the ABV.
 :D

~Jacob

Offline Ed Lolington

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Honorary adjudicator, daytime tweeter.
    • View Profile
    • www.lolington.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
i think Ryan should have a top shelf root beer. maybe tell us what the mouthfeel is like on an Abita or Virgil's.

Offline ryan_haupt

• Administrator
  • talky crow
  • Scientific raconteur.
    • View Profile
    • Living the Sci Life
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
unlike ben I very rarely drink soda, beer is my main carbonated beverage and the occasional G&T
I tweet, I tumbl, I read, I drink, and I write.

Not necessarily in that order, though.

Offline Ed Lolington

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Honorary adjudicator, daytime tweeter.
    • View Profile
    • www.lolington.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
i was just kidding around. i love listening to you talk about beer on the show.

Offline DaynaJD

• talky crow
  • Sometimes geeky, always nerdy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
I've actually gotten more adventurous in my beer tasting since listening to this show.  I've tried to find some of the beers you guys discuss, but usually can't find the east coast beers in my southwest city.  Plus, still not a huge fan of the IPAs.

On a some-what related note.  I'm headed to San Francisco in a few weeks.  What are some good places for local micro-brews?
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" ~Edwin Hubble
"I tell you what. You buy this ship, treat her proper - she'll be with you for the rest of your life."

Offline ryan_haupt

• Administrator
  • talky crow
  • Scientific raconteur.
    • View Profile
    • Living the Sci Life
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
On a some-what related note.  I'm headed to San Francisco in a few weeks.  What are some good places for local micro-brews?

Depends on where in the city you're staying. A few of my favorite haunts are:

City Beer Store (weird hours so check before going)

Toronado Pub (kind of divey, but awesome selection)

Thirsty Bear Brewing Co. (organic beer made there plus amazing Spanish food)

Magnolia Pub and Brewing (mostly in house beer, some others on tap too, great Southern-esque style food)

There's also a ton of good cocktail places and I'm sure others will have more suggestions on top of these.
I tweet, I tumbl, I read, I drink, and I write.

Not necessarily in that order, though.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
most folks wouldn't drink beer out of a puddle,
but then again some folk'll,
like ryan..

you know, now that I think on it, i should probably start retiring the simpsons references. does anyone ever watch the simpsons anymore?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline DaynaJD

• talky crow
  • Sometimes geeky, always nerdy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Ryan.  I'm looking forward to trying out some of those places. :)
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" ~Edwin Hubble
"I tell you what. You buy this ship, treat her proper - she'll be with you for the rest of your life."

Offline baconbabe

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:59:26 AM »
Perhaps Great Basin Brewing's Ichthyosaur "Icky" IPA http://www.greatbasinbrewingco.com/site/brews/in-bottles/

Offline Bullypulpit

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Robot Pirate Ninja Kung-Fu Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
I want to send you guys some of my next homebrew stash. I make a great IPA.
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relationship to everything else.

Offline LukeSouthan

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
I don't know if you guys get it over there (as the first brand i know originated in France) but have you tried a tequila flavoured Beer like Desperados? They're pretty delicious on a hot day, which if the news is correct is every day in the U.S right now.

Offline LukeSouthan

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 04:57:35 AM »
Almost certainly Ryan would have had this, but I had my first ever american IPA yesterday and it was super nice, it was an Odell Brewing Co. IPA from Colarado.

I also had a beer (a Hofbrau Munchen Sommer beer) from one of the Beerhalls that Hitler used during his putsch in 1923 and it came in one of these https://www.hofbraeuhaus-shop.de/en/Steins-Glasses/Steinkrug-Schutzmarke-0-5L.html?force_sid=l359sbkldo6mgrjhhpa9rke5u4 and they are super fun to drink out of, you feel like a viking and i will hopefully buy one soon.

Offline LukeSouthan

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
One of my friends found an off licence near him that imports a lot of U.S beers so tonight I have had;
One of these: http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/liberty_ale That's an anchor brewing company 'liberty ale', it's pretty nice, it's not mindblowing although I imagine if you could get it on draft it'd be a beer of choice for me at the pub, pretty reminiscent of a lot of german beers.
&
One of these: http://flyingdogales.com/beers/#/Canis+Major/Raging+brian dunning That's an Flying dog brewing company 'Raging brian dunning' (Think female dog if that's gonna read Kalamari) It's said to be a Belgian IPA, and it certainly tastes distinctively Belgian, and reminded me of a lot of good (pretty drunken memories) of running around Brugge at two in the morning with a bunch of locals who had got us incredibly drunk on beer that tasted a lot like this (and was disgustingly cheap, probably a $1.40 a pint) BUT that is all it really had going for it, yeah they've got the taste of a belgian beer down but it costs me 15 to get on a ferry to Belgium so it's not really that exciting for me, most of the beer I drink is Belgian or Dutch so... Cool name though.
Also this! http://www.brewdog.com/product/hardcore-ipa That's a brewdog brewing co 'Hardcore IPA' This is a 9.2% IPA (not suprising considering it's from the people who bought you tactical nuclear penguin, a 32% beer) However despite some of the sillier things they do this is pretty good and i'm starting to try a fair few of there brews as they're opening a pub near where I live pretty soon. You can notice it's a bit stronger than your average IPA with the taste and it sorta feels like i'm gonna notice it tommorow as well and although it is pretty good I don't think i'll have it again as their Punk IPA is a lot nicer, however if you generally like your darker beers but want something lighter for the summer this might be worth a try.

Also this!!!! http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/beers/400-lb-monkey i wouldn't buy this... it's alright but i'm a bit disappointing with it
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:57:58 PM by LukeSouthan »

Offline chutson99

• talky crow
  • Satan, oscillate metallic sonatas.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hutson
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
As science-themed beer goes, last week I got a pack of Two Brothers' seasonal Oktoberfest beer "Atom Smasher." Oktoberfest / Marzens aren't really my favorite style, but it's a good beer. It's pretty sweet and malty, with a little more alcohol than most Marzens. Two Brothers is one of my favorite regional breweries, they're in Warrenville, IL, in far west suburban Chicagoland, and this beer is named "Atom Smasher" because their brewery is literally right over the fence from Fermilab. I hear their beer is on tap at the Fermilab bar - I don't know, I've never been in the Fermilab bar.