Author Topic: Welcome everybody! Introduce yourself!  (Read 31520 times)

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome everybody! Introduce yourself!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Hello, my name is Bec and I'm a science-aholic.  I realised I had a problem when I listened to seven episodes of Science... Sort Of in one day.  I'm a civil engineer and I like building big stuff, efficiency, riding bikes, and pretending that I understand physics.

Offline John Iscariot

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 11:26:50 PM »
I'm John, in New Zealand, and nobody gets my sense of humour - especially Ben.  :(
I'm, amongst other things, a massage therapist - I have degrees, but don't use them, so they don't exist.
I like goth and darkwave music, esoteric debates and soft-toys.
I'm on a 4 week countdown until the birth of my second child so am a little stressed (my wife is somewhat stressed too  :))
Some men have decided to stay alive not through the will to live but so as not to give assorted surviving bastards the satisfaction of their death.

Offline Psydotek

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Papanicolaou test ninja.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
I'm Henry.  I'm a cytotechnologist (cytotech for short, heh, get it?) :D  For those familiar with SMBC, I'm the closest thing you can get to a "Pap Smear Ninja".  You never see me, only my handiwork.

I probably play videogames too much.  I watch alot of DVDs, mostly anime and sci-fi.  A large portion of my music collection consists of videogame soundtracks and J-pop.

I have a bicycle riding, rock climbing, and weightlifting habit.

I've always been a science nerd.  I took top grade in my high school physics class with a simple 4 function calculator while everyone else was sporting fancy graphing calculators.  I haven't touched a physics class since then.  I went in the direction of biology instead.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:00:38 PM by Psydotek »

Offline thehugo

• Little Puffin
  • bonsai trainer
    • View Profile
    • @ net
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
Well, hi from me then.
I'm... Enthusiast, I guess. Science enthusiast for certain :)
What the heck, Oxford English Dictionary?!
I could've SWORN that 'unsay' was something a person can actually do.
dinosaur comics

Offline tigerpika

• Administrator
  • talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm Bethany.  I am also a science enthusiast and I especially like ecology and natural history.  Also I am married to Ben.  I was on an episode of Titanium Physicists once, that was pretty fun.

Offline Phevnil

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
Greetings BrachioBoarders! I spend my time listening to too many podcasts, reading too many webcomics, and playing just a few too many videogames. Well, during these summer months at least, the rest of my year will be spent at the University of Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) working towards an honours bachelor of science with specialization in physics.

The end goal here is a P.h.D. in physics, but that is still many years down the road, baring the improbable possibility of time travel hijinks, of course.

Offline geosquirrel

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
Greetings and Salutations (aren't they the same thing?) My name is Summer and unlike most of you, I am a layperson when it comes to science, but I like science and science-y things. I am trying to become more science literate though! This introduction thing sounds like an AA meeting. "hello, my name is summer and I'm a science-aholic..."

Everybody together: "Hello, Summer!"
Just because you haven't pursued Science as a career doesn't mean you can't be a Scientist :-)
It would be pretty awesome if all 'laypeople' were excited about science and science-y things. You are awesome.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 10:24:46 AM »
yeah.
science is for everyone!
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline Xerophytes

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
Greetings BrachioBoarders! I spend my time listening to too many podcasts, reading too many webcomics, and playing just a few too many videogames. Well, during these summer months at least, the rest of my year will be spent at the University of Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) working towards an honours bachelor of science with specialization in physics.

The end goal here is a P.h.D. in physics, but that is still many years down the road, baring the improbable possibility of time travel hijinks, of course.

Let me guess.... your name is Ben?

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 06:23:42 AM »

hey!
you already know a ben who is like that.
what, are you hoarding them?

Offline Phevnil

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »

Hmm, close, it's Stephen.

Ok, not really close, but still a good guess given the facts, I guess.

Offline Bullypulpit

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Robot Pirate Ninja Kung-Fu Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
Hi, I'm Casey. I'm currently working my way through and education in physics with secI dart study of metaphysics so I have a skewed view on things. I enjoy teaching stuff, learning stuff, B grade Scifi films and running obsticle courses.
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relationship to everything else.

Offline SteveH1024

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
Hello.  I am Steve -- degrees in ChemE and EE.  Currently, I do R&D and innovation work for a plastics company.  I like physics, mathematics and home brewing.  I love this podcast.  It is intelligent AND funny, so it keeps me waiting for the next episode.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »
thanks, buddy! i'm in awe of your career path.

Offline Shadow123

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
hey!  my name is Shanna and i recently finished grad school - i got my MLIS (Masters in Library and Information Sciences) from Rutgers.  i'm taking a year off (from lots of things) while my husband finishes his Ph.D. in Engineering Education, and then we'll be moving to the uncharted lands of "wherever will hire him as a professor."  my background is in linguistics and philosophy, so not science at all, but i have a lot of scientist friends and i think science is generally cool.  i've often thought about going back and getting a degree in something useful like chemistry or physics.  'cause physics is phun.

i have a few lame part-time jobs right now but am hoping to one day work as a middle/high school librarian or in teen/youth services at a public library.  or maybe doing something completely different but still totally awesome.  who knows where the wind will take me?