Author Topic: Welcome everybody! Introduce yourself!  (Read 31521 times)

Offline Lynx Cat

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • Worldline Collapse
Re: Welcome everybody! Introduce yourself!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Oi, didn't see this thread until now! Let's see then.

My real name is Fernando, but I go by Lynx Cat pretty much everywhere on the internet for like over 15 years, so it just seemed easier to keep that up. I'm an International Relations graduate working a cushy government job, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only layperson in terms of science here. The credentials in this thread still make me want to watch what I say in science discussions very carefully though :P Oh, by the way, I'm from Brazil.

As for my interests, I have several (literature of nearly all genres, RPGs, linguistics, mythology, etc.), but it should come as no surprise that one of my biggest interests is science, especially physics. I'm one of those weirdos who actually paid attention to high school physics, and loved it. Right now I've got two projects of sorts - one is teaching myself physics (especially quantum mechanics, which seems to get crazier the more I learn about it), and the other is to live forever or die trying. I also like to write, though lately it's been hard to find the time to write a regular series like I'd like to. If anyone's curious, I've put up most of my English-language fiction in this place. Uhh... you physics guys might want to skip the "About" page  ;D

edit: lil' heads up though - while some of my stories are suitable for all ages, others... might not be. Actually, the only really child-friendly one is The First Story (not the first story though). Stock Market doesn't have any explicit themes (that I remember), but it's still kinda disturbing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:17:15 PM by bn »
Did I do, O CROM, did I as I said Id do? Good! I did.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
are there lynx in brazil?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline Lynx Cat

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • Worldline Collapse
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
Not at all, no. I guess "Jaguatirica" doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
Lynx are pretty cool. they're all legs and feet and fluff.

Offline LukeSouthan

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »
Hey, I'm Luke, I have a degree in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Southampton in merry ol' England, I graduated less than a month ago now so am in a mad hunt for some sort of sciencey job in the city I live (Birmingham) which is hard because it's much more an engineering city than a sciencey one... But it's just whilst I take a second gap year (Because travelling is amazeballs) and then I will hopefully go on to do a PhD in something related to Memory Recall and I shall be a mad ol Neuroscientist.

That is if my fascination with Cuttlefish doesn't take over, they're pretty amazing guys.

Other than that I like comics (and found the Brachiolope Media Network through Ryan North appearing on The Titanium Physicists), general reading, running, playing football (soccer), cycling unCROMly distances and alcohol, so hopefully I'll fit right in here.

N.B I used the spellcheck feature and amusingly it doesn't recognise Brachiolope and wanted me to change it to Biracial...

Offline Daneel

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
Helloouuuuu.
I'm Elio, but like Lynx Cat, my internet friends know me by my nickname. So much that some of them didn't even know it was a pseudonym and were genuinely surprised when I told them my real name. Now they call me Daneel even when we met in person.

I'm an Atmospheric Sciences student at Buenos Aires University. I'm interested in climate change stuff but I think I could find any topic that I get to learn in even a small depth fascinating. I found that I also like spreadsheets and doing the (rudimentary) statistical analysis that I know of.
I'm an active member of the skeptical community in my country and love to write about science, sort of science and things that are definitely not science.

Oh. I should point out that for the most part I don't drink alcohol nor pop drinks. I don't even like drinking bottled water; it's just run of the mill tap water for me :). I'm also vegetarian (plus dairy products) for ethical and environmental reasons (but I'm not a dirty hippy, that's my girlfriend)

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
man i love tap water... after about 3 months in a place. then it tastes SO SWEET!

you know who has great tap water?
new york city!
what a surprise!

Offline Lynx Cat

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • Worldline Collapse
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
eh I'm still really paranoid about tap water. It's probably not really bad at all (I mean here in So Paulo) nowadays, but I still feel queasy about it every time I have to drink it. The quality of water treatment in whatever place I happen to be in doesn't change that for me.

And, if Daneel is Argentinian, are we supposed to be... nemeses? Rivals? Or something? Or doesn't it apply in a "gringo" place? What's the ruling? I never get that stuff straight.

Offline Daneel

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
And, if Daneel is Argentinian, are we supposed to be... nemeses? Rivals? Or something? Or doesn't it apply in a "gringo" place? What's the ruling? I never get that stuff straight.

That's alright, I don't like football (or soccer, as some may call it) so we don't have to worry about rivalries.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »

And, if Daneel is Argentinian, are we supposed to be... nemeses? Rivals? Or something?

well, based on your avatars, magicians and lynxes have been enemies for generations.

Offline Lynx Cat

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • Worldline Collapse
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »

That's alright, I don't like football (or soccer, as some may call it) so we don't have to worry about rivalries.
Me neither, so I guess that's that ;)

And I don't really see the whole lynx vs. wizards thing... Can you give me an example of an anti-wizard lynx?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:29:02 AM by Lynx Cat »

Offline adrive7

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
    • Technically Speaking
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
Hey everyone. My name is Joe, and Im that guy who likes cars in ep 140 of science sort of...

Im an aerospace engineer and build airplanes during the week. I work with Jacob, and he brought Science Sort of to my attention. I quickly became a fan. Whilst not at work, I like to autocross my MINI Cooper S, and think about how cool it would be to design a mission to Mars.

Joe
Speaker of Technical Things.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:46 AM »

And I don't really see the whole lynx vs. wizards thing... Can you give me an example of an anti-wizard lynx?
it's time to admit that i made it up.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
Im an aerospace engineer and build airplanes during the week. I work with Jacob, and he brought Science Sort of to my attention. I quickly became a fan. Whilst not at work, I like to autocross my MINI Cooper S, and think about how cool it would be to design a mission to Mars.

o_o what a cool dude.

Offline LukeSouthan

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
think about how cool it would be to design a mission to Mars.

I think a thread should be started where we plan this, then hopefully one day a few billionaires will come across this board and decide we are the right guys for the job.