Author Topic: Welcome everybody! Introduce yourself!  (Read 31522 times)

Offline darkfizzikcowboy

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome everybody! Introduce yourself!
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm Mike and I'm from Houston. Just started listening to Science sort of and Titanium Physicists podcasts and love them both.
I'm a nerd that loves History and Science especially astronomy,  astrophysics, and quantum physics. Besides that I'm a big football and Hockey fan.
Nerds make the world make sense.

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2013, 07:08:43 AM »
Howdy.

I got to point where I hold Science in my heart from a roleplaying game.  No joke.  I was volunteering as a game demo person for Steve Jackson Games and I had just picked up their book series called Transhuman Space.  It is a very hard science fiction setting with an optimistic viewpoint about our future, high bio-tech and computer-tech and humanity has spread throughout the solar system.

I found the paragraphs about other planets fascinating, especially the bits about what we ACTUALLY know about them.  This wasn't HG Wells Mars, this was an actual planet that had weather and really and truly existed.  From that, I picked up a few books on Mars.  Then on other planets.  Then on cosmology.  Then on particle physics.  Then I subscribed to Scientific American.  Then I...

You get the idea.

I was looking for more Science podcasts and I found yours.  I loved it, it was science and beer, and I'm an avid homebrewer (though not as avid as I have a 2-year-old now) so the two went together swimmingly.  I also love the Titanium Physicist (my family history is French Canadian, so I think I'm forced to).  I definitely stray more towards the tech, space and futurist bits, but the paleo and biology bits are fine, too.  In small doses. 

Typed too much already, I can hear the duck timer.

That's all.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2013, 03:32:11 AM »
that stupid duck timer follows me around :(
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
Oh man! I thought this thread was dead, so I never introduced myself!

Hi gang, I actually found all this brachilope stuff because of the titanium physics podcast! I was looking for a materials science podcast show (those don't exist in long-format :'( ) and ben's clever metallurgic naming TRICKED ME into becoming an addict. I listened for many months before finally giving in and listening to the weekly weinersmith, then when I exhausted their catalog, finally started listening to science sort of, and now I can't get enough of this stuff.   

I'm a Materials Science PhD student at Arizona State University, in Tempe Arizona, where I'm growing and characterizing high-temperature superconductors to do a bunch of really cool things.

As much as I love all the science podcasts out there, it seems like the only one with a regular material scientist is The Naked Scientists, and they mostly only discuss the energy aspects.  Because this makes me sad, I'm working on starting a science podcast (without a duck) to compliment all these bio/paleo/eco focused shows, and fit somewhere between them and Ti Phy.   

SOON.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
yaaaaaaay

Offline skep48

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
I saw a video online about superfluid and thought that was pretty sweet.  So I decided to look some stuff up on my phone and found Titanium Physicist podcast and now I am hooked on the show.  I never knew I would like science and thanks to Ben I have even started spending money on my first physics book.

I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Steven and I am a mud engineer working on drilling rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. I don't have a science degree so don't hold it against me, I did graduate college from Texas A&M University. I live in South Texas and have a 12 hour drive to the heliport so I get to listen to all the brachio podcasts (Ti Phy is my favorite), which makes the drive go by fast.  As much as I like Science Sort of, they need to extend that damn duck timer.

Gotta Run

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
wow. awesome!
HI!

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »
As much as I like Science Sort of, they need to extend that damn duck timer.

Not extend it, just pause it every tie Ryan butts in.  And apply it to his monologues too ;)

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:11 AM »
:}
I'm going to go on SSO and read this to him

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2013, 05:07:15 AM »
Hehe, last time the duck timer was on I resolved that I would listen back to it on Audacity, and separate out all the time Ryan and compare it to how much was left, because I reckon he was taking up most of it.

But then I remembered I don't really have any free time, and I'd rather just ride my bike and listen to the next episode.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
i second the abolishment or equal application of the duck timer!  its time ben stopped putting up with this physics discrimination!
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline TassM

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Greeting earthlings, I is Tass hailing from the center of the Merica. (Saint Louis to be more precise)
I'm a recent grad from UMSL and now working as a metrology engineer in medical manufacturing.

I started with Science Sort Of over a year ago and finally decided to post.

A side note I'm excited about new discovery by professor Schekmen and professor Rothman on cell transportation in the human body.

Board looks good, keep up the good work.

Tass

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »
I'm a recent grad from UMSL and now working as a metrology engineer in medical manufacturing.

Huh.  I read that as METEOROLOGY engineer.  I was like "Holy crap!  You build weather!"

I'd be excited about a metrology engineer, but I have absolutely no idea what that means.  Building metronomes?  Building subway junctions?  Dealing with people asking "What do you do?"
  :D

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
they engineer metroids?