Author Topic: Episode 147 Flash Fried Frog Legs  (Read 2121 times)

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
Episode 147 Flash Fried Frog Legs
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
One comment on the first segment. For voice communications, you want to have guaranteed bandwidth all the time, or you will get annoying dropouts. For data transfer, you usually don't care if your web page takes a little longer to load because of congestion. So these two types of networks use different designs.

Wired ethernet uses a random backoff collision handling system. If two users try to send at the same time, they notice that they have collided, wait a random length of time, and then try to send again. I'm not sure how wi-fi handles this.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Re: Episode 147 Flash Fried Frog Legs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:09:24 AM »
ha
we get so much spam in this one board
that when i read your message i was like "what is this ? spam?"

you're talking about protocols for frogs and internet to not talk over each other!
ha! wonderful!
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline LukeSouthan

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 147 – Flash Fried Frog Legs
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »
You used my itunes review, huzzah. I feel like I wrote that a loooooooooooong time ago, and may have been unfair about the exams thing because I was pretty much just listening to episodes about dinosaurs.

Also cheers worked, but I have no idea what that second word was... I'm from Birmingham so if you wanted to be super colloquial it'd be 'Ta Babs' but don't do that because everyone else in the U.K and probably the world will think you are very scummy indeed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:12:36 PM by LukeSouthan »