Author Topic: Other Podcasts I like  (Read 14882 times)

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Re: Other Podcasts I like
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »
oh I can't remember their names off the top of my head.
I sampled them here and there a few years ago.
I think i tried "we're alive" but it was too scary for me.

or boring.
one or the other. probably scary. zombies are scary.

but yeah. I like the old ones because they are so... brazen. there's no sense of irony at all to them.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline Ed Lolington

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Honorary adjudicator, daytime tweeter.
    • View Profile
    • www.lolington.com
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »
A couple of us were talking on twitter about Welcome to Night Vale. It's a great podcast in the form of a surreal local news broadcast about a fictional (I hope) town called Night Vale. Also there's cool music too! Start with episode 1 and work forward, if you know what's good for you.
Here's the website.
Here's the Twitter account, which is also very good.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:06:38 PM by Ed Lolington »

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:58 AM »
yaaaaaaay
its like john hodgman's last book!

Offline adrive7

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
    • Technically Speaking
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
My favorite podcast is Technically Speaking. You can check it out here: www.technicallyspeakingpodcast.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/techspeakpod

Facebook: www.facebook.com/technicallyspeakingpodcast

:P
Joe
Speaker of Technical Things.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:55 AM »
yaaay

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
A couple of us were talking on twitter about Welcome to Night Vale. It's a great podcast in the form of a surreal local news broadcast about a fictional (I hope) town called Night Vale. Also there's cool music too! Start with episode 1 and work forward, if you know what's good for you.

wow thanks ed!  I've been looking for new podcasts. it  took me a  little while to get around to Night Vale,  but I went through it in a couple days.  really great stuff.

I  also just started listening to the Alton Brown cast,  which is  pretty great so far.  he talks about  current food news,  takes  live calls and emails ,  and does interviews.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:16 PM »
nightvalee is #1 on itunes under comedy  :o

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
My favorite podcast is Technically Speaking. You can check it out here: www.technicallyspeakingpodcast.com

Shouldn't Technically speaking have it's own whole section on the brachioboard and stuff?  Why has it been so soundly ignored by the forum?  Is Ben jealous that Joe has a better podcast voice than him?

:)

Offline adrive7

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
    • Technically Speaking
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »

Shouldn't Technically speaking have it's own whole section on the brachioboard and stuff?  Why has it been so soundly ignored by the forum?  Is Ben jealous that Joe has a better podcast voice than him?

:)

I like this calura person.
Joe
Speaker of Technical Things.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
It SHOULD! you're right!

Offline Ed Lolington

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Honorary adjudicator, daytime tweeter.
    • View Profile
    • www.lolington.com
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »

wow thanks ed!  I've been looking for new podcasts. it  took me a  little while to get around to Night Vale,  but I went through it in a couple days.  really great stuff.

I  also just started listening to the Alton Brown cast,  which is  pretty great so far.  he talks about  current food news,  takes  live calls and emails ,  and does interviews.

Heh, I just finished the most recent episode. I've been savoring it over the past couple of weeks.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
Oh wow, im excited that the metamor city podcast is coming back soon.   

and ive been really enjoying the radio-style interviews on generation anthropocine ever since SSO's recent episode with them.    This stuff is really interesting, and its amazing how well they stay on such a focused theme.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline Grawk1

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:35 AM »
I just started listening to this awesome new podcast called "Tea and Jeopardy"

Basically, an English lady with a beautifully soothing voice invites guests to talk about geeky things with her over a cup of tea and piece of cake while in a series of improbable elaborate “tea lairs” in baroquely super-villainous locations. She has an hilarious butler and she is very polite, but her guests always find themselves performing death-defying feats of bravery when they leave her dangerously impractical lairs.

It has a certain similarity with The Titanium Physicists in the fun rituals and silly conceits (like how Ben has the overwrought speech about fascination, summons the physicists like eldritch abominations raised with dark magic and then rewards them with fruit and so on) and has a similar charm and sense of whimsy about it.

Ben, you should totally go on each other's shows; you are perfectly suited for each other's attitude and sense of humour!

Offline RedWurm

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
I spend a lot of time on public transport at the moment, so I'm juggling far too many podcasts, but I'll try to recommend a few that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

In Our Time
A radio program on "the history of ideas". Recent topics have included Robert Boyle, Photosynthesis, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam and Spartacus.

The Dead Authors Podcast
My one true man-crush, Paul F Tompkins, plays H G Wells, and whisks great authors from history to a tiny, ill-ventilated black box theater for some wide-ranging improvised conversation. Aesop and P G Wodehouse are among the highlights.

99% Invisible
It's kind of sort of about architecture and places and.. stuff. And all sorts of other things. It also has some great imagery on the accompanying blog. The dazzle camouflage episode really stayed with me.

When Diplomacy Fails
Not so much about war as it is about the activity that starts or finishes it. He's recently finished a huge 30 years war series in time for a day-by-day account of the crises that led up to the outbreak of world war one. I'd also recommend the League of Cambrai episode, as it's an astoundingly vicious soap opera.

Superego
They've recently put some animated versions of their improvised sketches online, but the audio version has so much more. Mostly in-jokes, gender confusion, corpsing and weirdness, but it's a delight.

The Bugle
Currently on a break, comedians Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver bring you topical satire, puns, lechery, dictator news and cricket. The first podcast I ever listened to and I still love it.

Resonance FM: OST
Mainly soundtracks and library music old enough to get away with putting out on t'internet, can be a bit hit and miss depending on the theme, but when it's good it's a joy.

Rationally Speaking
Science and skepticism, but with at least one professional philosopher. Genuinely fascinating.

MonsterTalk
All the interesting stuff around cryptozoology that most of the TV programs cut out.

Ask a Canadian
Not entirely sure how to describe this. Part public information broadcast, part gameshow. Sort of.

Regular Features
Even less explicable. And much more NSFW.