Author Topic: Story Podcasts!  (Read 3415 times)

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Story Podcasts!
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:14:57 AM »
so sometimes i'm in the mood to hear a story. Usually when i'm tired and blase and i need a change.

There are all sorts of podcasts that tell stories! I love them so much!

I think the best short story podcast I listen to is called The Drabblecast. it tells spooky stories from the "weird" genre. it's quite good.

but if that's not your thing for short stories, maybe you'd like something a little more subtle. there's the podcast of the fantastic selected shorts radio show. famous actors read high quality short fiction. I listened to one of the chapters of the Iliad  once, and it was so good i almost pulled my car over and lay down in the ditch.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Story Podcasts!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:31:01 AM »
maybe you'd like to hear an audiobook instead.

the cbc has a fantastic serialized novel reading show called "Between the covers". I thought it had been cancelled, but apparently it's still broadcasting on sirius. Anyway, they have a podcast. the between the covers podcast. Once of my favourites was the reading of "king leary" done by the angry one-eyed commander from battlestar galactica.

but it's the CBC, so generally their choice of novel is kind of serious.

If you'd like to listen to slightly more daring audiobooks, then you should know about the podiobook movement. The idea is that sometimes it's hard for a new author to become known and successful... so they make podcasts out of their books and put them online for free. This helps them gain an audience, and it's had a few high profile successes.

for instance, a few years ago scott sigler's (printed) book Infected got onto some best seller list. In essence, he had built a huge fan community, and he had everyone buy the book in a big tidal wave. The burst of intensity in sales shot him up the chart, and now his book is sold in all sorts of book stores.

Sigler's audibooks are pretty fun to listen to. His fiction is pretty gritty, and often scary.

If you like tough-guy action, but not horror, you might enjoy the fiction of greg crites. His characters are always hard fightin', hard fartin', hard cussin'. It's a good way to distract yourself when you are hauling gravel from the driveway to the backyard!

If you'd like some fun science fiction, I'm a fan of Nathan Lowell's "golden age of the solar clipper" world. It's not exactly captain kirk stuff. It's more about the solitude and camaraderie of life at sea in the deep dark of outer space.

Offline Ed Lolington

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Honorary adjudicator, daytime tweeter.
    • View Profile
    • www.lolington.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
I'm excited about the "selected shorts" one you mentioned. Actually I'm in the middle of reading the Illiad so I might start with that. Neat.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »
there are 3 sister podcasts which feature well read (contemporary) short stories in their respective genres. Together they make up the Escape Artists Podcasts:

Escape pod (science fiction)
Pesudopod (horror)
Podcastle (fantasy)

If you would like a few references, I've enjoyed "Sir Hereward and Mr Fitz Go to War Again". One of the main characters is a magic puppet who is hundreds of years old. They go around fighting elder CROMs or something. there are several.

Alternatively, a few of Kelly Link's Stories have been read aloud.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:11 AM »
why is librivox so bad?