Author Topic: Cassini strikes again  (Read 2492 times)

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile
Cassini strikes again
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:37 AM »
Looks like the Cassini Probe got some more beautiful shots...this times of meteorites going THROUGH the ring systems, disrupting them.  Besides Earth and Jupiter, this is the first time we have actually SEEN meteors hitting anything, which is pretty awesome.

I would assume that there would be tons of them out there as Saturn and Jupiter has so much gravity out there, not to mention the sheer plethora of debris in the Oort cloud to come screaming in that they'll probably witness a whole bunch.

Of course, I'm not sure how often stuff from outside of Pluto's orbit actually start coming in towards the inner solar system...

Still pretty awesome.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/whycassini/cassini20130425.html

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Re: Cassini strikes again
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
those pictures are pretty neat.  I couldn't imagine trying to discern an image of an impact from a meteorite measuring only 1 cm! that seems like it'd be a lot of work, and probably too dificult to program a computer to find those anomalies in the images... Does anyone know if this kind of search is done "manually" or by some kind of automation?
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
That's a good question, and I don't know the answer

but I DO know that not too long ago, grad students earned their degrees by staring at plate-after-plate trying to notice stars that moved/dimmed/brightened.

can you imagine?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline stephako

• emo emu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »
I think it is at least partially done with "citizen science" projects like CosmoQuest. interested people get a tutorial on how to identify interesting features, which can later be analyzed by experts.
Null results, open questions and a bit of my writing: JUnQ