Author Topic: FOCUS  (Read 6790 times)

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
FOCUS
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
its a little older, but this is always a good paper to go back to when you're supposed to be working on something else.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0046362

"The Power of Kawaii: Viewing Cute Images Promotes a Careful Behavior and Narrows Attentional Focus"

It basically shows improved focus in university students after short bouts looking at pictures of kittens and puppies.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Re: FOCUS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
I knew that I wasn't wasting time!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvtDh0sV0Lo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WvtDh0sV0Lo</a>
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
Dangit ben, now I want to get bunnies for my lab. Just to sit there in paper cups watching everybody work....
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
imagine having a backpack with a bunny in it.

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
This guy is close?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pN0CkkY3_rQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pN0CkkY3_rQ</a>
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:06:24 PM by bn »

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »
"hey internet! what's it like to have toxoplasmosis?"
"here let me show you with a video"

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
It's a very interesting parasite.  It probably helps me by balancing out my introversion a little bit.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
 :P now you're introverted with a cat?

sorry.

yes I have heard that it makes people more... catlike?

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:06:36 PM »
Hehe, it's supposed to make women more outgoing and open to take risks.  Maybe it's why I'm into downhill mountain biking.  But it makes men more aggressive and anti-social, or something.  I think... it was a while ago I read that.

I've read a great deal about toxoplasmosis.  We fostered* a litter of orphaned kittens last year that were only two weeks old, and in the first week they started getting sick one by one, and within 12 hours they'd be dead.  I read everything I could find and called every vet and carer I could think of, and by in the end we were pretty sure their mother had gotten toxo when she was pregnant, and that's what was killing them.  Just like in humans, it's not usually dangerous to cats unless they contract it in utero.  That diagnosis didn't help though, since the prophylactic treatment for it is massively expensive.  One of them survived, and he was pretty happy and healthy when he finally went to his permanent home.

* Our local cat rescue place often gets kittens in that are too young or sick to go to be adopted out yet.  If you feel you have too much sleep time and not enough diorrhea in your life, you can volunteer to look after them until they are healthy and grown up.  Same with kangaroo and possum joeys from Kanyana.  My husband and I do this some times. 

Sorry, back to cute pictures.

BRAH!

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 03:51:03 AM »
Hehe, it's supposed to make women more outgoing and open to take risks.  Maybe it's why I'm into downhill mountain biking.  But it makes men more aggressive and anti-social, or something.  I think... it was a while ago I read that.

I thought it made men more docile and less anti-social. but just like you... it was a while ago.

If only there was a place where i could just type in the word "toxoplasmosis" and then read all about it again. oh well, wishes and fishes.

did you say that sometimes you rescue baby kangaroos?

Offline Lynx Cat

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • Worldline Collapse
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
I've heard it makes people more risk-prone because it's really supposed to infect mice and make them not be afraid of cats, so they'd get eaten and the virus would return to its host. I also heard a crazy theory that toxo is the reason why ancient Egyptians were so into cats (since it supposedly makes you like cats), and also why some Latin peoples are so emotional and passionate (at least the Iberian peninsula was found to have an unusually high infection rate).
Did I do, O CROM, did I as I said Id do? Good! I did.

Offline calura

• stinky Cassowary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 08:00:30 PM »
If only there was a place where i could just type in the word "toxoplasmosis" and then read all about it again.

That would be amazing.  Just imagine.

I've raised a few joeys yeah, they are very cute.  It's a bit of a dilemma though; most kangaroos don't make good pets and distrust humans more as they get older.  Sure there are a few who are complete cuddle sluts and will happily follow humans around all their life, but they are the exception.  Is it really worth pouring so much time and money into saving an animal that will always be just a little bit stressed out?  It's not like you're saving the species or anything - there are plenty of kangaroos of all types still hopping around.  I would prefer to be pouring resources into raising rare species like rock wallabies or woylies, but of course they don't  get rescued very often, on account of being rare.

Offline chutson99

• talky crow
  • Satan, oscillate metallic sonatas.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hutson
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »
My brother used to work in a lab where they did research on toxoplasmosis.
They grew it in little petri dishes and tried to come up with novel ways to kill it.
I don't know the details, but at some point they were trying to give it hepatitis, I think.
Hepatitis had something to do with it at any rate.
My favorite fact I learned from him is that at least some of the culture medium they grew it in was made out of human foreskins.
So if they chopped off yer foreskin when you were a wee lad, maybe they took it and threw in a blender somewhere and grew cat parasites on it.
I'm not making this up, and I don't think my brother was, either.
He doesn't do that anymore.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:05:38 PM »
That's super gross, and not cute at all, and now I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Offline chutson99

• talky crow
  • Satan, oscillate metallic sonatas.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hutson
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 06:30:22 AM »
Neat, make sure to report back if the nightmares turn out interesting