Author Topic: adventure time *spoiler* what??!?  (Read 6750 times)

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
adventure time *spoiler* what??!?
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
did the ice king just kill the party CROM?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
Re: adventure time *spoiler* what??!?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »
Is your avatar meant to look like the Earl of Lemongrab? It doesn't have the nose, but... I don't know, I've never seen the show.

I am dumb, I thought that was two strands of hair.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »
he's like
" Ha, ha-ha... GOOD ONE! [coughs a terrible-sounding cough into his fist, and cringes again, then looks up at the pranksters with another smile] Keep 'em coming! I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!! Ho... ha... Ah-ah-oooow!"

Offline beans

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
I liked it better when I didn't know I was looking right up his nose.

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
Adventure time song by Nuclear Bubble Wrap

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
The only thing I know about adventure time is "Mathematical! Rhombus! Algebraic!" 

i really liked the youtube video, but I haven't seen it since it became a real show.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline Grawk1

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 07:02:59 PM »
I don't know you will be interested, but I wrote a post for overthinkingit.com about Lemongrab, the Ice King and Adventure Time's curious stance on neuroethics (there is further discussion in the comments on how class plays into this dynamic as well.)

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2013/10/08/adventure-time-neuroethics-agency-autism-aspergers/

I'm sure intelligent fans like yourselves will agree with me that Adventure Time is a profound sociological document which deserves intense scrutiny and deconstruction!

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
I'm sure intelligent fans like yourselves will agree with me that Adventure Time is a profound sociological document which deserves intense scrutiny and deconstruction!
i concur.
i'm off to read your article.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
mmmmmm.
i'm not sure if i'd agree that lemongrab is autistic.

but i do think your analysis of contrasting social responses to neurological issues is an interesting one.

I believe that, as more of simon's/iceking's tragic past gets exposed, and it becomes clear that he's just like, crazy senile (oh Alzheimer's ), people begin to treat him less like a monster. finn calls him "simon" sometimes, and he gets invited to parties and stuff.

i think, though, that maybe what we are seeing isn't a change in social response, but rather, a subtler picture of the characters developing as finn goes from being a kid to a teenager. he's growing up, and the motivations behind other people's actions are becoming apparent to him?

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
I liked Josh So's response to your post the best.

man, i sure like talkin' about adventure time

Offline Grawk1

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
You know, I've heard so many people telling me that the Ice King is treated differently after his past is revealed (both in the comments and  friends of mine who took issue with this post in offline conversations) - maybe this really has happened and I've just not noticed it. I have largely watched episodes out of order, and there are some i haven't seen, so maybe I've missed some subtle shift that actually has happened.

I don't think Lemongrab's symptoms are such a close fit for actual Autism (I've spent enough time around autistic people to have a good familiarity with the symptoms of people at various points on the spectrum) but I do think they are a good fit for the caricature of Autism as it is commonly imagined by people with limited experience of autism (which is how pretty much all stereotypes work.)

I think you are right about Finn's maturing though, he definitely has a lit more of a theory of mind than he used to.

If you'd like more pseudo-academic analysis of adventure time, there's 3 other awesome articles by other writers from the same site!

The amoral compass of Adventure Time: http://www.overthinkingit.com/2013/07/23/adventure-time-morality/

Adventure Time as a Steinbeck-esque criticism of the onanistic nature of creativity in a vacuum: http://www.overthinkingit.com/2013/01/29/adventure-time/

Gender Time - Deconstructing the meaning behind Fiona and Cake: http://www.overthinkingit.com/2013/01/18/adventure-time-gender/

As one last plug, I'd love for the S(so) and overthinking it podcasts to do some crossovers - your subject matter is quite distinct, but there's enough room for crossover. The similarities in your formats, social dynamics, sense of humour, styles, etc. are uncanny.

okay okay I'll shut up now