Author Topic: It even has Liz Taylor blur!  (Read 2533 times)

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Re: It even has Liz Taylor blur!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
oh man, i'm so used to squinting at AFM images and saying "oh, THATS the bond!!!"  these images are just completely mind blowing.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
wait, I just noticed your topic title and I don't get it.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »
wait, I just noticed your topic title and I don't get it.

Unless I'm mistaken, I remember hearing back in the day that anytime anyone interviewed Elizabeth Taylor they would intentionally blur the shot (I've heard everything from having it slightly out of focus, to different screens in front of the lens to actually using vaseline on the lens) so that you couldn't see any wrinkles on her face or anything.  I'm sure this story was sometime in the late 80s or so.

I was simply remarking that the pictures are remarkably clear, yet still have a little bit of a blur on them, just like those (reported) interviews.

Seemed funny at the time, and it's always funnier after you explain the joke, right?  RIGHT?  :P

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
I get it now, so its still funny for me!