Author Topic: Podcast Hosting?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Podcast Hosting?
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Hi gang,  I'm working on starting a podcast, and i'm looking around at hosting.  I currently have a webhost for blogs and that sort of stuff, one of those "unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth" deals (dreamhost) but I know that even though it is allowed in the TOS, that type of server isn't really great for media hosting...

Has anyone used a webhost like that and did you run into any issues?  I'm certainly not expecting large traffic, so I dont want to pay for libsyn or something similar yet if I don't have to (i suppose i can gather my own stats through feedburner and my host).
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Re: Podcast Hosting?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
libsyn is pretty cheap?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
AFAIK, "unlimited" always means "limited, if you read the fine print."

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
  • Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
The main podcast hosting sites seem to be either libsyn or blubrry. You could host through amazon web services. Not sure about the details, but I know people do it.  They charge by bandwidth. But if you have low traffic, it might work out in your favor. Though libsyn does some things that piss me off, for the most part they allow you to set it and forget it (what, like $10 a month isn't too bad).

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
fair enough, I'll go with libsyn then. Thanks for the advice!
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas