Author Topic: Queen Bee Mating Outside the Hive  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Cosmodot

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Queen Bee Mating Outside the Hive
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
I came across this rare find in the tree in my front yard when I came home from work. I've never seen a honey bee queen before so the sight surprised me. And then it made me think of the Titanium Physicists and Ben's affinity for bee metaphors. I just had to share it with you guys. Besides, I figure it's becoming a rarer thing to see considering the dwindling honey bee population. I took a couple photos and just watched them hang there together for a good 10 minutes. The queen and that lucky drone seemed to be completely indifferent to my presence, however I suppose they were somewhat preoccupied.

I vaguely remember learning that you will never find a queen bee outside of the hive unless it's on its way out to build a new colony. In my opinion, bees are some of the most fascinating creatures in the insect world and to be able to see part of their process in action was a real treat for me. I'm anticipating an afternoon full of bee research. I live fairly close to some native prairies in north eastern Kansas just full of wildflowers and I'm really starting to feel an itch to start raising some honey bees, myself, if just for the hell of it. Enjoy the pic. No copyrights attached.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:08:24 PM by Cosmodot »

Offline Cosmodot

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Bee Mating Outside the Hive
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
Wow, that photo really blew up. It's twice the size of my screen in the post... For those who don't know, you can zoom out of a browser by holding ctrl and rolling your mouse-wheel backwards.

Offline beans

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
Cool! I need to start photographing the bugs in my yard, there's some interesting ones out there.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
can't complain about the size, what with how awesome those bees look.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:45:41 AM »
I'm more worried about putting a NSFW tag on this subject...I mean, what if my boss saw me looking at bee copulation?   ???