Author Topic: Which Journal do I submit to?  (Read 3693 times)

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Which Journal do I submit to?
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
How do you all decide which journal to submit papers to? I'm having a hard time since this is the first time I'm writing on my own...

I have my short list of 5 journals; one is probably too ambitious (they usually go for the most exciting/time-sensitive papers that will probably be sited more), another is a journal that my advisor is an editor for (I'd kind of like to avoid it for that reason), and the other two are only okay.

Am I being silly for avoiding a journal just because my professor is an editor with them?
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Re: Which Journal do I submit to?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:51:18 AM »
*most* of the papers I read in my field are from one of two journals. so I just submit to phys rev d?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »
That makes it easy enough.  I sure would like to get into Phys Rev B or Applied Physics Letters, but i'm not sure my paper is flashy enough, and is probably too long for APL.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
is Rev B hard to get into?

(in other news, dave and I once fantasized about starting a faux-journal called "phys rev Z" wherein we would publish zombie papers)

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »
Rev B is easier than APL, but more difficult than any of the other journals. Who know if it means anything anymore, but impact factors for those two are 3.81 and 3.76.

I think I decided on Superconducting Science and Technology (2.75), and my advisor agreed with it.

(in other news, dave and I once fantasized about starting a faux-journal called "phys rev Z" wherein we would publish zombie papers)

I'd love to read/write phys rev Z papers. that sounds like a good time.

Sort-of related, was your superman paper posted to the arXiv? I was looking for it a week or two ago, but I  only saw the lovecraft one on there. Ended up going to S...SO show notes to get it.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
no
it's living on ryan north's servers at qwantz.com