Author Topic: Suggestion for brainstorming: Personal transport!  (Read 2688 times)

Offline TaviRider

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Suggestion for brainstorming: Personal transport!
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
I saw this sphere-wheeled "motorcycle" today. This should immediately remind people of the Audi RSQ concept car that featured in the 2004 movie I, Robot. I couldn't wrap my head around how you can have three motors all trying to spin the same sphere... Anyway, it made me wonder what the Technically Speakers would come up with during a brainstorming session for a new form of personal transport. Right now we have cars, motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, bicycles, unicycles, Segway Human Transporters, jetskis, and self-driving cars. Obviously there's a lot of possibilities there. But I bet you can come up with more ideas.

What I'm looking for is a new mode of transport for urban living. Let's assume that the urbanization of the world continues, and we spend most of our travel time as one or maybe two people plus a few small items in a vehicle just trying to cross part of a crowded city. And let's also assume that some cities can cater to these vehicles by changing traffic laws or even roadways, to a reasonable extent. How would you do this in a way that lets travelers own their own vehicles and go where they want when they want, while also being fuel and space efficient?

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Re: Suggestion for brainstorming: Personal transport!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
oh man, when I took my intro to engineering class, we had this question as one of our brainstorm projects... right after seeing a presentation from Sky Tran.  my group was assigned moving sidewalks, so we described something similar to this XKCD comic but on a big metropolitan scale.

fun stuff. 
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »
wouldn't... wouldn't spherical wheels require a bunch more angular momentum than normal tires? and what's so great about angular momentum in a tire? not much, I'd wager.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »
yeah I imagine the spherical tires would have greater moment, so you'd probably want to minimize that by making them hollow? stopping and starting would want the lowest moment you could have, but fuel efficiency could be improved with greater moment...I'd try to make them a starburst shape to realy minimize that, but I'm not sure how to get the motors to actually turn the thing then.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:15 AM »
and what about treads?
how could you keep them from water-planeing?

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
and what about treads?
how could you keep them from water-planeing?

I think you'd want to design a tread that wasn't uniaxial.  I imagine little x's instead of v's. Or something like the spiral pattern inside a scroll pump.

Or dimples, like on a golf ball!

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
yeah...
i'd imagine that as well.

still, i don't see what the fuss is about.
aside from people who hate parallel parking.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:04:57 PM »
so you can drive sideways like batman did in that recent batman movie!

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »
while that does sound awesome,
remember a couple years ago where there was a panic about toyota's accelerating suddenly without warning,
and then it turns out that people were just bad at not stomping on the gas when they meant to step on the brake?