Author Topic: iTunes...  (Read 5199 times)

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
iTunes...
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
I submitted my podcast feed to iTunes almost 4 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything yet... bleh all this waiting around is lame.

I wish iTunes wasn't so important for podcasting. I can't even install it on my computers (i run linux) so I had to borrow another computer to even submit.  Its such a pain to use even when you do have it installed.

Stitcher is neat, but it doesnt seem like too many people use it, and rss can be complicated to explain.  Its too bad that there isnt a non-itunes program that everybody already had that could be used for listening to podcasts.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
Re: iTunes...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
Its such a pain to use even when you do have it installed.
It mostly works OK for me, but some of the defaults are annoying until you figure out how to change them. Also, they're always moving things around so you have to find them again.

#1 problem with listening to podcasts is that it marks them "listened" as soon as you start listening, not when you finish.

Offline bobmath

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
Also... iTunes seems to report your podcast downloads to Apple. It definitely opens an encrypted connection to an Apple server when you download one. I haven't tried to figure out what exactly what's being sent.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
you mean your laser podcast?

I download it on my ipod. so it's there?
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
you mean your laser podcast?

I download it on my ipod. so it's there?

yeah the laser podcast...
Huh, ben you're right; I never got the approval email, even in spam/trash, but its in the store now.  neat! I wonder how long its been there. thanks for setting me straight.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
weeks now, i think
but yeah, i don't think i've ever heard back from them on anything.
kelly weinersmith did once i think.

apparently there are only two people who do the who podcasting section. so. ...

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »
Wow thats pretty rough, only two people. There are a lot of podcasts, i bet there are lots of requests for this kind of stuff.  iTunes should care more about podcasts... I really agree with Andrew Johnstone's (from podcast squared) assessment that iTunes doesn't care about podcasts at all, but am glad other companies seem to be starting to notice the potential.  Stitcher was super friendly/helpful when I contacted them.

Well at least LASER is available on iTunes now. (check it out all you brachilope forum people--it's pretty okay!)

Offline Ed Lolington

• Miocene Terror Bird
  • Honorary adjudicator, daytime tweeter.
    • View Profile
    • www.lolington.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
I found the podcast on the iTunes store, but it was a bit hard figuring out what to search. I eventually found it by searching "laser materials." Also the link in your forums signature isn't quite right. I listened to the pulse episode and it was good. I'll check out the longer episodes when I get a chance.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
I'm on an upcoming episode.... Screaming for about 40 minutes about how much i hate the canadian government.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
I felt kinda bad about ranting so much. it makes me sound like a crazy person. so like, every time i come across a new news story about canada gutting science, i send it to them.... that's like every other day. *dies*

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Ed, I fixed the link. this bbcode can be confusing sometimes. And I hope you enjoy the show; it started off rough, but we're really working on improving each subsequent show.

I'm on an upcoming episode.... Screaming for about 40 minutes about how much i hate the canadian government.

Don't worry, after you signed off we spent the next 90 minutes complaining about the american government. I'm not sure how im going to edit almost three hours down to just one, but its going to be an adventure, and hopefully nobody comes out sounding like a crazy person!