Author Topic: The Collapsed Wavefunction is joining Brachiolope Media?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Grawk1

• talky crow
    • View Profile
The Collapsed Wavefunction is joining Brachiolope Media?
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »
At the end of their most recent podcast, the Technically Speaking guys may have let slip something which was not meant to come out yet: they mentioned "The Collapsed Wavefunction" as a member of the Brachiolope Media Network!

I see no mention of this anywhere else on the sites, so maybe this was a premature announcement, but I'm jumping on it and highlighting it anyway!

I admit to having never heard of it (though a quick scan of the blog looks promising.) I have downloaded a few of their episodes to listen to later.

I have high hopes for this, though I admit to being a little wary of this apparent new practice of integrating already existing podcasts into the network. For all its virtues, Astrarium does not belong on the Brachiolope Media Network - it is simply a very different type of podcast with a very different style and approach which (I suspect) is appealing to a different audience, and trying to integrate it in only dilutes the Brachiolope brand. I do not mean to be insulting, but I feel it must be said.

In any case, I have every reason to expect good things of this apparent newest addition. I will listen to a few episodes of The Collapsed Wavefunction and report back soon!

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Re: The Collapsed Wavefunction is joining Brachiolope Media?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
tl;dr--more science! more brachilope! more content!

I was super excited when I heard that, and I hope it is true. I just started listening to the collapsed psi about a month ago, and its really great. Their personalities fit in really well with the brachilope crowd, and they fill an area that was lacking. There isn't an analytical chemistry show (yay for more non-squishy sciences!).  As I listen to the Collapsed Psi catalog backwards, it is becoming one of my favorite podcasts overall.

I can see the argument that it doesn't belong in the brachilope network, but I see a couple ways to overanalyze/oversimplify/make-a-straw-man-of that argument:
  • "brachilope" names something like a paleontology/ecology network (this would exclude TiPhy and Astrarium and Collapsed Psi [sorry ben, yours is still the best show in the network!])
  • the network is a S...SO co-hosts network, so Astrarium and Collapsed Psi would be out, and then it might as well be "the S...SO network".

My favorite interpretation is that they would just add high quality science-related podcasts that they enjoy.  There isn't a big science podcast network like maxfun/twit/nerdist at this point, and I think we (the internet) could really benefit from one to expose a greater number of people to a greater number of podcasts maybe science podcasting overall is not up to par with other podcast areas, and new/good ones are hard to find.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:18:41 PM by aliencam »
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline Grawk1

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
I return in shame for my shocking neglect of my duties! I can only imagine the soul-rending stresses experienced by the Brachiolopean community as it anxiously awaited my verdict on the new addition to the network! ;)

The Collapsed Wavefunction is entertaining and interesting, very Brachiolope, totally fits with the style of the network and so on! It definitely has found its home.

However, since I'm apparently taking it upon myself to adopt the role of curmudgeonly critic, I must make one criticism of them: SHUT THE donkey UP ABOUT THE EDITING. The show is about 5% "umm"s and "ah"s and people speaking over each other other conversational flotsam, and that's okay! That's how people talk, all the other Brachiolope shows include it, it makes the podcast feel more discursive and less scripted. What is not okay is then spending ANOTHER 5% of the airtime saying "herp derp, this is the stuff we would edit out if we gave the slightest fraction of a kalamari about the quality of this podcast", not to mention the utterly painful moments when several minutes are spent asking the same question 6 slightly different ways as you discuss which formulation of the question is best, decide that you will edit out everything except the last question, then leave the whole thing in. That's not even blooper-reel material, it's more like if a tv show included 5 minutes of people moving props and drinking coffee between takes. Either edit and leave this stuff on the cutting room floor, or treat this as a live broadcast.

To address your point aliencam: I think that the common thread of Brachiolope Media is the style and the tone of scientists casually discussing science with each other. There is some variation in exactly how this is done, but SSO, WW, TiPhy, TechSpeak and CWF have a strong family resemblance. Astrarium is totally different in its tone and style. It has its appeal, but it is nothing like the other podcasts ther than it being a series of periodically released audio files about science.

(despite the tone of this thread, I swear I actually really like Brachiolope media... especially WW and TiPhy! I criticise to help it grow strong.)

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »
well good thing, your message would have been drowned in the deluge had you waited any longer!

I kind of think the talk of editing and transitions is funny.  I usually end up cutting that from LASER, but mostly because my co-hosts figured out my trick of clapping loudly next to the mic to denote a cut, so they end up inserting cuts for themselves... its kind of fun to be the one editing since it lets you make yourself sound smart, while you leave everybody else sounding kind of silly.   

Theres also a lot of fun in playing with the fact that there is no fourth wall in podcasting.

To address your point aliencam: I think that the common thread of Brachiolope Media is the style and the tone of scientists casually discussing science with each other. There is some variation in exactly how this is done, but SSO, WW, TiPhy, TechSpeak and CWF have a strong family resemblance. Astrarium is totally different in its tone and style. It has its appeal, but it is nothing like the other podcasts ther than it being a series of periodically released audio files about science.

yeah you're right, astrarium is a very different tone. still a great show though.
PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas

Offline Grawk1

• talky crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
Waaaaiiit... I hadn't noticed your flair before, you sneaky bastard! You have an interest in Brachiolope media staying a general science network because then you can join!

Brace yourselves, I'm coming to critique you too now, to adjudicate whether your podcast is worthy of riding the mighty Brachiolope, or shall be trampled underfoot!

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »
definitely trampled underfoot, we're still working on the whole "quality content" part of the podcast.

Offline adrive7

• social whiskeyjack
    • View Profile
    • Technically Speaking
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
At the end of their most recent podcast, the Technically Speaking guys may have let slip something which was not meant to come out yet: they mentioned "The Collapsed Wavefunction" as a member of the Brachiolope Media Network!

I see no mention of this anywhere else on the sites, so maybe this was a premature announcement, but I'm jumping on it and highlighting it anyway!

Oops.  :-[
Joe
Speaker of Technical Things.