Author Topic: Theoritical engine  (Read 1221 times)

Offline TassM

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Theoritical engine
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
I came across this article and my first thought was you guys.

What do you think about the feasibility of this engine. From my understanding, to make it practical, you must increase the size which would increase the weight to offset the gain. I'm not sure if the cost would justify the car company to make such a change. 

Offline scikopas

• Miocene Terror Bird
    • View Profile
    • LASER-Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad
Re: Theoritical engine
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
Is this legit?  the paper seems kind of sketchy/lacking details, and I can't seem to find an impact factor for the journal...

anyway, this line doesn't make sense to me:
 "The burnt charge during the power stroke is then transferred to the 3rd cylinder for further extraction of work from the left energy of the burnt charge. This burnt charge is allowed to expand in the 3rd cylinder called expansion chamber for another positive work output increasing its overall thermal efficiency."

just from a thermodynamics point of view (i'm not an engine guy)
if I'm understanding the 3rd cylinder right, its already-expanded gas that we usually use as exhaust, and just puts that gas into another piston, compress it, and it expands on its own again? By that time most of the energy would have already been used to do work, and the only advantage is that the gas is at a higher temperature than the atmosphere.  You would need a really high ΔT between the gas and the outside of the piston to extract any more energy, but just thinking qualitatively, it seems likely that the outside of that piston (being next to the very hot 2nd piston) becomes almost as hot as the inside of the exhaust piston after any amount of time.

PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University currently working on high-temperature superconductors and quantum computers or something.
my (materials) science podcast: LASER (Let's Agree Science and Engineering are Rad!) twitter @scikopas