Author Topic: Time, again  (Read 1292 times)

Offline keith_nyc

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Time, again
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
Hey, I wonder this:

As per Relativity, you cannot discuss a "true" velocity, and inside a closed, uniformly-moving spaceship you could not sense your own motion.  But you can feel, sense, and measure acceleration.  You could feel it in your gut or measure it with instruments.

Along these lines, you cannot sense the "true" speed of time.  But I wonder if you could feel, sense, or detect the "acceleration" (deceleration) of time as your spaceship accelerates?

-Keith

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:31:28 AM by keith_nyc »

Offline CthulhuKid

• talky crow
    • View Profile
Re: Time, again
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »
I'm no physicist, but I would think about this.  Space and time aren't separate things in Relativity theory.  It's lumped together Spacetime.  That being the case, when you feel your acceleration through space, you're feeling your deceleration through time at the same moment.

I look forward to being told how wrong this statement is.

Offline keith_nyc

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Re: Time, again
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
Yes!  Thanks, that's exactly what I would think!  Also waiting to be...enlightened by someone with real physics background...

If any physicists want to tackle this thread, here's a followup question... if you know your own mass, and you can measure your own acceleration, perhaps you can calculate your own deceleration of time?  No, maybe not because you would have to know what percentage of the speed of light you are travelling, which in turn you do not know because absolute speed is...unknowable...nonsense...