Author Topic: Quantum Entanglement  (Read 1350 times)

Offline threred

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Quantum Entanglement
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
You touched on this subject in the episode an quantum encryption, but I need more information...

My classical analogy for quantum entanglement goes like this:

Imagine that whenever a couple gets married each spouse receives a half locket, either a right half or a left half, randomly selected. One of the pair will get a right half and the other a left half. Now in some rare cases, one of the newlyweds needs to jet off on a business trip immediately after the I-dos. In this case the locket halfs are placed in separate boxes and given to each spouse to open later.

Now if neither spouse opens their gift box,  neither one knows who has the left half and who has the right half. When one of the boxes is opened, then the opener immediately knows which half they have (right) and which half their mate has (left). No spooky-at-a-distance action occurs - only information is revealed. The opener could tell the other which half she has, and then when the second half is opened, lo and behold, it will match the predicted half-ness with near certainty. Like in the quantum entanglement case, this information can travel no faster than the speed of light.

Opening the box does not spontaneously create a right half locket out of a half locket in some state of left/right juxtaposition. Although know one knows which is where, they were placed in definite states at a specific time in the past. This is like covering a flipped coin after a toss. Although I can guess correctly heads or tails only 50% of the time, the coin itself is is either 100% heads or 100% tails.

So, what am I missing here? What is different about quantum entanglement?

-Rory