Author Topic: Universe is Not Expanding After All, Scientists Say  (Read 1712 times)

Offline jazzba

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
Universe is Not Expanding After All, Scientists Say
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/science-universe-not-expanding-01940.html

New evidence, based on detailed measurements of the size and brightness of hundreds of galaxies, indicates that the Universe is not expanding after all, says a team of astrophysicists led by Eric Lerner from Lawrenceville Plasma Physics.

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
Re: Universe is Not Expanding After All, Scientists Say
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
and yet it moves.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.

Offline jazzba

• Little Puffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »
"Only dimensionless ratios as the distance between galaxies divided by the atom radius are observable."

Offline bn

• Titanium Physicist
  • Administrator
  • Godzilla!!!
  • Compressing Hearts, Super Robo Style
    • View Profile
    • The Titanium Physicists Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
I don't mean to be "johnny shoot it down", because frankly, i think people who make it their business to be naysayers on the internet are... limited. but seeing as this is a forum i manage where people talk about science, to support (in part) my physics podcast... i guess I have to address it.

the problem with articles like this,
(and i don't mean scientific papers, because scientists should be free to chase whichever birds they wish,
and come to any conclusion they feel justifiable...)
but the problem with articles like this
is they fail to take into context the bulk of OTHER scientific evidence and theory
which, in this case, point to the veracity of an expanding universe.
and they ignore it so as to make a punchy headline.

here is a non-exhaustive list of justifications which have nothing to do with each other.
1) expanding universe explains the observation of microwave background radiation.
2) a dynamic (expanding) universe is a requirement of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which has been verified by experiments and indirect observation.
3) expanding universe accounts for the redshift of far away galaxies, and correctly predicts the manner in which we see the colours change.
4) expanding universe explains the observed temperature perturbations in the microwave background.
5) accounting for an expanding universe correctly predicts the genesis of large scale structure and distribution of galaxies and dark matter which we observe in our universe.

(for more on these topics, there are several episodes of titanium physicists discussing these topics in depth)

so these news articles ignore all this jazz,
in favour of a paper which was published in a not-very-prestigious journal,
so that they could write a punchy headline and sound like they scooped the world.

sorry reporters: theoretical physics moves REALLY SLOW.
Titanium Physicists has a pro-bee-analogy agenda. That's certainly no secret.